Sunday, August 5, 2012

Virus Protection for Netbook: Now I choose Avast! Pro



After years of experience and loyalty to Kaspersky, I finally switched to another brand. To be honest, it wasn't an easy decision. Knowing the fact that Kaspersky is one of the best performing antivirus in the world, why to choose another of lower rating?

Again, it is solely based on my experience. Antivirus in general works differently on different computer system, so does Kaspersky. KAV works faster in my Toshiba laptop (Core2duo, 2007) compared to my Acer netbook (Atom N280, 2009). By far, KAV 2009 was the best version of Kaspersky antivirus I ever had throughout my life as a legal user.

When Kaspersky introduced rootkit scan in 2010, which designed to neutralize attack on 64-bit on-line banking system, that's where the problem begins. I used to write about the issue in my older post [From My Desk: Kaspersky AV2010 Root Scan Issue: Solve it using KAV2011].

The question is do I feel secure with Kaspersky? Absolutely yes! I always feel safe even with increasing to-date cyber threats. However good performing antivirus sometimes consumes more CPU resources resulting in a slower-running computer. That's what happened to my Acer Aspire One Netbook after upgrading to KAV2010 and KAV2011, although my HD is 80% space free and frequently defragmented. Sometimes I have to disable the protection mode for my Words & Excels to work without interruption. Too bad!

When my KAV license almost expired last June, I quickly googled for alternatives. Panda, Avast and Avira were those in my quick list. Finally I chose avast! Pro Home & Student Edition due to the half price offer to students. It's such a mixed feelings though because I wasn't sure whether I made the right choice. Now two months have past, I feel that avast! Pro really suits my netbook well. No sluggish start up, no freezing, as if my KAV2009 is back to life. Furthermore, I like avast! Pro interface. It is so presentable and easy to understand. This is the first time I really feel that I have a total control over my computer.

My genuine antivirus collection
So if you are looking for an antivirus that suits your netbook (those powered by atom processors), nah... avast! Pro is the answer. I also recommend it to be used in older PCs. Try to look for Student Edition because it's worth your money. No point to have a super duper antivirus if it only slows down your computer. The most important is to HAVE A PEACE OF MIND and be in control over your own computer.

No comments: